CV - Patrick Kimber¶
KB Software Ltd, Director¶
Cloud based workflow and document management systems.
Database and API for health tracking software.
Continued work on a web site which manages membership, purchase and management of on-line courses and a jobs board.
Various web sites written using Django, Linux and Postgres databases.
Web site to membership, purchase and management of on-line courses and a jobs board.
DataCapture Ltd, Web Developer¶
Development of nuclear waste tracking and management software.
Initial development of mobile web software for tracking sheep using electronic identification tags.
EigenLabs - MIS Developer¶
- Responsible for maintenance and development of the company web site and
- The site is built in python using the Django web framework.
- Satchmo is used for the shopping cart and allows the user to configure products before purchase.
- Other sections of the site provide an integrated CMS, Wiki and Forum.
- A search facility based on SOLR is provided so our users can quickly access articles on the Wiki and forum.
- ERP developer for the python based, Open Source http://www.openerp.com/ system.
- Basic system administration Deployment of web applications, backups, cloud services, user management.
Digital Jigsaw - Technical Architect¶
- Delivered integrated mobile (web and SMS) solutions for customers including Walkers, Nestle, Honda and Tropicana.
- Introduced release management, version control, issue tracking and change management procedures helping to improve the quality of deployed applications.
- Built modules (including web services) to support reporting, monitoring and maintenance requirements.
- Out of hours support.
Goss Interactive - Senior Developer¶
- Developed a text search engine using Java, C# and open source components. This is being delivered to clients as an alternative to a commercial search engine.
- Built a messaging system to improve response times in the web based user interface. This solution was developed in Java using an open source enterprise service bus.
- Created a document classification service, which will be sold to clients in the public sector. This web service will be used to automatically tag documents with the correct meta data from a taxonomy (e.g. IPSV).
- Integration projects, database scripting, quality monitoring and internal administration sites using python and Django.
Cognito Software - Developer, Team Leader¶
- Over 10 years experience building commercial software solutions.
- The work has been primarily in the areas of work-flow, accounts and general business applications. As an example, the document production and work-flow system is used by solicitors to fill forms, submit legal aid claims and monitor workload.
- Over 10 years commercial experience writing object oriented rich client applications using C++ and SQL databases. I have built and maintained other applications written in Basic and python.
- Over 6 years experience managing a team of developers and support staff. My responsibilities included mentoring junior developers, software code reviews and building operational procedures. I also carried out informal product update briefings for the technical and sales teams and reported directly to the senior management team
- Design and development of projects, which are successfully deployed in over 100 multi-user sites. These installations have been carefully managed to minimise upgrade issues and to smooth the path to new operating systems and databases.
I have been involved in gathering user requirements, designing and implementing various systems including:
- eCommerce/on-line shopping.
- Content Management
- Text Search Engine and Classification Systems.
- Marketing and Customer Relationship Management.
- Legal and Commercial Accounts Systems.
- Document Production and Management.
- Property Development Management Systems
- Stock Control
- Cloud Architecture (Linode, Digital Ocean, Amazon, Rackspace, CDN).
- Multi-user, client server, web and mobile systems.
- Third party product and API integration.
- Software upgrades, change management and deployment.
I will design, build and document efficient, reliable and easy to maintain products, which meet customer requirements.
I use agile processes including unit testing and refactoring. I utilise design patterns and reuse existing components.
I am always looking for new ways to improve quality and procedures at all stages of the product lifecycle.
- Languages: python, Java
- Framework: Django, ElasticSearch, SOLR and Lucene, Spring.
- Libraries: Django REST Framework, Activiti Workflow
- Database: SQL, JDBC, Python DB-API, ODBC.
My experience has enabled me to make significant improvements to software quality. To achieve this I have used various tools including configuration management, unit testing, logging and continuous integration.
- Operating System: Linux, Windows, Solaris, Mac.
- Servers: Rackspace, CDN, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu.
memcached, Apache, nginx, python WSGI.
- Compiler: Eclipse, Microsoft Visual Studio, Borland, gcc
- Database: PostgreSQL, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Pervasive.SQL
- Document Production: Capsoft HotDocs
- Installation: InstallShield, python
- Lifecycle: Maven, Continuum, Cruise Control, Hudson
- Unit Testing:
nose, junit, nunit, boost test.
- Logging: log4j, log4net, commons logging
- Performance Testing: JMeter, Netbeans, Grinder
- Version Control: GIT, Mercurial, Subversion, CVS, StarTeam.
I am most satisfied when working as part of a team. I believe it is crucial to understand customer requirements and build solutions which are appropriate for them.
I will increase the chance of success on a project by building successful and constructive relationships with all members of the team including:
- Domain experts
- Management team
- Sales and support
- Third party suppliers
I believe I am a co-operative manager who will encourage and listen to all members of the team.
I am very interested in agile methodologies and have achieved significant success using collaborative processes.
- Department and Team leader
- Project planning, estimation and measurement of progress
- Devised standard procedures to improve quality and teamwork.
- Remote workers
- Agile development methodologies
- Mentoring and support of junior developers and those new to the team.
- Client focused
- Agree and hit deadlines
- Committed, reliable, flexible and honest
- Aiming for continuous improvement
- Computer Manager, Manor Merchants Ltd, 1990 - 1995
- Dairy Farmer, 1981 - 1990
- Queen Elizabeth’s School, Crediton, 1976 - 1981.
- GCE A: English Language, Mathematics and Commerce.
- GCE B: Craft, Design & Technology, Geography, Literature and Music.
- GCE C: Biology and Physics.
- Age 52. Married.
- Full clean driving licence.
- Interests: Cycling, friends, community, programming and open source software.